***A W@lK +♡ R3mEM8eR***: Bluff & Stewart Island

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Bluff & Stewart Island

I woke up late on Sat morning, so I had to like speed to bluff in order to catch the ferry to Steward Island. Cutting the lanes at 140-150km/h on average with my 1.5cc manual car, it is absolutely fantastic. I finally arrived like 5mins before the the ferry departure time, and when I went to the counter, they told me today's weather is bad and therefore there won't be any ferry going to stewart island. What the hell, I speed all the way, and you tell me there is no tix to Steward Island. Argh...

I spend my entire sat exploring bluff instead. It is a really nice place. I took a small trek at one New Zealand's southermost park/clift. The wind is so strong at the south coast that a 70kg over guy like me got blown off sometimes.
Watched the sunset, and then took a nap because I woke up so early this morning. Then I woke up to mug for my psych, yeah, i brought my text book along, studied like one chapter, and I slept in my car for the night. My back seats is able to fold down, and the backseats connect to the boot, I have more than enough space to lie down, and it was definitely warm and cosy in my car. =)

Woke up the next morning to catch the sunrise, but it never came. I think the sun was too lazy to get up so early, and then I went to catch the first ferry to Steward Island. You see, actually I planned on a 3D/2N tramping trip, I brought just enough food to last me the during of time, so having spend one day in bluff, I barely have enough food to last me for another 3D/2N, so I decided to attempt the trek in 2D/1N which means I have to cover over 30km of undulating terrain in my first day so that I can reach the 2nd check point, skipping the first one. I must say that the view in Stewart Island is just like any rainforest, but it is beautiful because it is untouched, in a sense, it is being kept at the most original form.
And I said to myself, I know I can complete this within 2D/1N. And I was told this was a great walk, meaning that the treks are well define and not much climbing or whatsoever. My "great walk" started with mother nature's showers of blessing, I walked in the rain for the whole day. The paths were muddy, and as much as I try to siam, the mud is simply overwhelming, that there is almost no way I can siam. Then there are walks that were suppose to be on the beach, and freaking hell, it was high tide when I was there. The good thing is that there is a high tide track, the bad thing is the track ends half way, and I still have to walk on the beach. Argh...I did some bouldering and sea crossing, wetting my pants. You know lah, your morale feels damn bad when your waist down is soaked, especially your foot. And I thought, I'm trained in this kinda situations, it is nothing compared to the Brunei where I literally walk the in the river for 2 days.

Then came this "sign" Track follows beach, so I skirt the beach because it is high tide, then after walking for like a good lenght, where I bashed, and I crossed a river because there was a rope tied there, and looks like a river crossing site, then I realized that I can't be bashing a way out here for myself. So I back-track to find another group of people that are on their way there. They showed me the map, and I'm suppose to cross the bridge instead of following the stupid sign board. I got lost for an hour. Never to travel without a map, a compass and alone, morale will be super low. Even in ranger course they have a compass and a map. I didn't get the map at the information counter because it was not useful at all, the map that the other group got was photocopied from some funny book.

So I continue my walk, at that point my hands and my toes are already numb, meaning, I cannot even unzip my sweater. I can't feel anything at all. My legs are moving, but my toes cannot feel my boots at all. Then sunset was at 5pm, freaking hell, I only started the trek at 11am, I'm suppose to take at least 6hours, but I was lost for one hour. And walking in the night have to double the time. And considering the fact that I didn't take any breaks at all, other than 1-2mins of photo taking, TMD, I'm still not at the check point I suppose to be.

I was feeling cold and lousy, my clothes were all soaked, and it is still raining even after sunset. =( I quickly grab a few bite because I never ate lunch (too garang liao, want to finish early so skip lunch), and took out my torch. After the quick snack, I feel my body being warmed up a little, which was good, gave me a little more confidence walking at night. However, my trusty torch that followed me through my army daze gave up on me in the middle of my night walk. At the same time, my calf started to experience cramp because of the cold weather, and I just keep hitting on the cramp part so that it can go away, then the stooopid cramp spread to my whole leg and then to both my legs. Great, murphy is with me man, anything bad that can happen, HAPPENED to me. I took a rest, to ease my cramps. Feeling cold, helpless, and almost immobile, I rest and I actually doze off while resting. I quickly stand up, telling myself I'm not gonna stay out here for too long, for the fact that I know I'm somewhere near getting hypothermia, all the symptoms are showing. I quickly force myself to walk, and luckily when the moon came out, it was full moon, I use the moonlight that I greatly depend on during my army days and walk my way out. finally, at 8.30pm I reach the hut - My checkpoint. I actually walked more than 3 hours in the dark, alone. I just felt it was like forever....

There were like 4 americans in the hut where they took the reverse route. They are ready to turn in for the night, and cuddling close by the fire. I went in and they offer me the fire place. Knowing that I was completely drenched and feeling cold, they(the americans) have no cow sense to let me get infront of the fire, they just sat there, and I have to sit beside the fireplace and put my hands into the fire place to defroze my hands. Gosh, now I know why Americans are like so hated. hahaha, i'm just generalizing, dun take it to heart. This is a sneak preview of what they did the night before.
The last leg was abit of a challenge, feeling the aftermath of the cramp, and aches all over my body, I have to get to the ferry terminal by 3pm because my ferry was leaving. I left the hut at 1030hours, and they told me it will take me about 4 hours plus to make it to the jetty. And I took 3.5hours, feeling really proud of myself, not that i completed in a time shorter than them, but it was after my tiring first day, and I'm still able to finish at a time faster than the americans.

Lessons learnt from this trip, check out on what attire you are suppose to be in. I have no waterproof clothing so it made matters worst. Check your torch light though I checked it. Always bring extra food. Get a map and a compass if there is no guranteed defined treks. And finally, no matter how confident you are, allwaiz make sure u do lotsa preparations, treat all your treks as your first so that it will not be your last.

The thought of Bluff's Oysters keep hovering in my mind for the whole time when I was in Stewart Island. Did you guys know that the best oysters in the world is from New Zealand, and apparently Bluff is the place that they consolidate their catch, because it is the southern most part in this world. I went to hunt for a nice resturant and ordered half a dozen of oysters and eat to my heart's content.
The drive back home took me slightly more than 3 hours, and I have to travel in the dark. First time driving at night on a high way, pretty dangerous I must say. now I know why so many people die while driving in NZ. Slippery road, no street lamps, and beside the highway is either the sea, the valley or cliff, so one wrong move, you will fall to either of this...and the worst part of the journey, it was pouring the whole night, driving in the rain with limited light isn't like the best way to travel. alas, if I'm still able to blog this entry, it means that I'm still alive and kicking, just that I type so much slower because my fingers are still feeling numb.... =(

2 voice message:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing beats skirting the fine lines in life. Praise God for His graciousness.

15 June, 2006 01:59  
Blogger |nnoc3nt said...

u bet. he is allwaiz in my mind, my heart and my soul...

15 June, 2006 03:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home