***A W@lK +♡ R3mEM8eR***: Marrakesh, Morocco

Monday, November 19, 2007

Marrakesh, Morocco

Where I gone to? I'm suppose to be happily backpacking europe, but I ended up in Africa. I wouldn't be very interested to visit Africa on this trip not for the book that I have read - The Alchemist. In the book, it tells you how beautiful Andalusia, Spain is and how the boy travels southwards to Africa and cross the Dessert towards Egypt. I didn't go the whole way, but would fancy the opportunity to do that. :)
Being my virgin trip to Africa, I was expecting alot more different than what I have seen here. But basically, it makes me feel as if I'm in Middle East, but in this case, Middle West instead of Africa. Maybe is because there isn't any black people around. I feel so bad sterotyping, but I think at least this trip open up my eyes as to what Africa is really about. Personally, I do not really think Morocco is a good representation of Africa, but you get the idea of how things here work.
The first impression, is at the airport. There are like at least 8 lanes at the immigration queue just before we legally enter Morocco. They provided so much more manpower in terms of security as well as officer to stamp our passport, but you wouldn't imagine how long it took. It took me at least 20 mins to wait for the officers to start working. All the passengers are queuing up and waiting for something to happen. And apparently, some people have preferrential treatment. They do not need to fill in arrival form and they do not need any stamps on the passport, or the officers just take the passport from them and stamp it without them queuing up. I dun understand how preferential treatment is given, given that all of us are on a budget flight, which means to say that there shouldn't be very rich or famous people on board.

The nature of Marrakesh is really beyond what I can describe here. On a photographer point of view, is a haven where right amout of light and colour comes together. NZ provides one of the most stunning natural's photo, but Marrakesh provide pictures with colour and a life.
The picture above was taken right outside the place that I stayed.

There is this particular place that I really love it so much, is call Palais el-Badi which was supposed to be the 'incomparable', once reputed to be one of the most beautiful palaces in the world. But due to war, I think only a few minor structures and ruins of the palace was left, but still, it impresses me alot. With the sunset and the birds, what can me more perfect than the company of this dawn's scenery. Cous cous is what I have been dreaming of eating, ever since my first time trying it in Toulouse, France. The cous cous here is really good. And then, there is their local delicacy, Tajines. Is just ingridents cooked in a boiler that shaped like a dome shaped ceremic bowl. Then this is a typical local dish, Is just chicken, fish and some sauce, together with their local bread and Mint Green Tea. Is really good...
Becasue the people in Morocco speaks french, you should not think that they are french people. I tried their "Escargos" thinking that they are clams. They are snails...and they dun even taste half as good as the ones I ate in France. :(
We drank a bowl of soup. Is just a plain soup, which is really cheap. :) Not really good nor bad. Is just a taste that I cannot tell you how good/bad it is.
We did all our makan at this square which is a UNISECO world heritage, and is called Djemaa el-Fna. You get to see fresh orange juice at 0.60SGD per glass and lotsa food stalls at night at really cheap prices. There are also many small stores that are doing henna, snake charming and story telling (which attracts the most attention).
Did some funny comic strips with the nice shadows that I have conceptualised....
Together traveling with me on this trip is Wendy who is doing her exchange in Sweden. Guess what, she got herself a Swedish boyfriend.....
I did couchsurfing here again, this time is with 2 Belgium guys. Both of them are absolutely fantastic. They cooked for us dinner on both nights and are amazingly knowledgable about everything. Nicolas who is sitting beside me is an architect and Jacques is managing a guest house. He lived in Sarawak before and his melayu and hokkien is really good. So good that even the most vulgar word in Hokkien, he said it with so much ease.
A weekend here may proved to be short, but we have comprehensively cover the whole place. I must say that in the Medina area (the old town), there is no street names. So unless you are a local, you will definitely be lost...it is really like a maze. And the kids will tell you where to go, and you will have to pay them if they lead u, even though u know the way. So sometimes u have to walk in other directions even though u know where to go. Is just like what it was written in the Alchemist. People are all around trying to trick you. They have 1001 ways trying to con you. So if you are not careful, you will just fall into their ploy.
I really hope this first step that I made into Africa, will not be my last, and would inspire me to want to conquer Africa in the years to come. Is always good to make the first step, it is because, I would then be able to push myself to do more of it...I hope I can, and I know I can. Marrakesh has left me a good and vivid impression and I long to see more of it in this continent. See you soon Africa.

0 voice message:

Post a Comment

<< Home