***A W@lK +♡ R3mEM8eR***: Winning isn't everything

Friday, October 27, 2006

Winning isn't everything

Just the other day, I noticed a group of children playing "eagle catches the chick". That may have been innocuous in itself, but I noticed that the "mother chick", a girl of approximately seven or eight, seemed to be extremely focused on winning. She was vigorously and almost aggressively ensuring that her brood of "chicks" was kept safe from the "evil eagle", a much smaller-framed boy of five. The look she wore as she protected her wards would have made any Amazon warrior proud. I wondered what was going through her mind as she was playing. Why was she so intent on winning? I am not stereotyping, but I humbly believe that fathers are largely responsible for such aggressive have-to-win mindsets. Remember the last time you watched your favourite football team lose a game? Did the words "referee kayu" slip out of your mouth? Do you remember blaming the team manager for his lousy strategy? As dads, are we conscious of what we teach our kids about playing, sports and, most importantly, about winning?

(Taken from Asiaone.com)

Since young, I always only think about winning, is like a mentality that is instilled in me, not by my parents, but maybe is bcoz im from an all-boys school for like a decade. I really dunno... but this mentality have been with me all the way till army, and it grew even stronger in the army, because there were lotsa brain washing and yadayadayda.

The strange think is after army, i develope a feeling adverse to winning. Try not to be as competitive as before. But of course, when I sign up for competitions, it has to be competitive. But just normal stuff, I really dun give a damn. Do everything in the name of fun...

I remb playing captain's ball in school when one fella juz elbowed me bcoz he was too short to get the ball. I was like whats up man, u dun even get a prize for winning this game. and besides, i shldn't be blame bcoz ur vertically challenged.

And somehow, I find that when I lose, I learn more than I win...and my fren juz told me doesn't enjoy losing. haha, who does anyway? but if u do, do it with pride, there is as much pride as losing as in winning, so brace yaself, n do better in the next test. ;)

0 voice message:

Post a Comment

<< Home