***A W@lK +♡ R3mEM8eR***: Feeling a sense of....

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Feeling a sense of....

...I can't describe, but I can share my chain of thots.

This thot was triggered when I suddenly realized that ITAM, Mexico is like the best biz uni in latin america. All top companies such as BCG, Mck, etc comes to my school to recruit students to join their company. And it was a close door recruitment, meaning only ITAM students are invited. haha, if only they accept people without spanish background, I would have applied. But the thing that shocked me was that I thot the recruitment is only meant for top students just like in SG, only those among the top 5% in the cohort will be invited for special talks, it was for EVERYONE in ITAM. They are only interested in the way the school train the students, and they have the same believe for every student, regardless of grades. Like what ITAM always proclaim, a 60% in ITAM is like a 100% in other uni in Mexico. Hahaha.

The companies have taken great effort to show their sincerity. They provide on-the-spot assessment for every students. So within a week, everyone who applied would have gone through at least 4 rounds of selections. Impressive man!!! Even my IPE partner who nv bother to help out for the presentation applied for McK and she got into the final round of selections. Wah.....

I didn't realized, but it was way too obvious not for me to realize. And as much as I thot my uni was very biz savvy, I was very wrong. Almost 70% of the students are in power-suits everyday. Not that they have presentations everyday, but they are already hired/head-hunted/internship in all the big companies in Mexico, even before they graduate. They earn even higher than normal grad while they are still studying. That is absolutely ridiculous. And everyday, they will be packed with interview, case presentations, selections, meeting clients, go to work, and the least of their priority will probably be studies. But who cares about studies when you oledie got all the good packages man....

And I can really imagine people in Havard Biz school, Wharton and all the top biz skols....
Biz culture everywhere and everyday....

6 years ago, I made a choice, a choice which by far was one of the best choice i made in my life. and that choice was to go to my uni. I set my mind on doing a biz degree, and my uni was the obvious choice even though it was new, but it has what I was looking for. Though my grades weren't superb, but still I manage to squeeze into this uni by sheer luck and god's grace.

I dunno why, but I noe that at the end of my time in this uni, I will not regret my decisions and will be happy for the things that I have done here. I was so confident that the cirriculum and everything will provide me the best form of education in my life, and along the way, I managed to convince some people to share my believe in this uni...haha.

This uni have given me more than what I have bargained for. I have so many opportunites to do so many things that I probably wouldn't have the chance to do it elsewhere...I'm indeed grateful. However, (it will come as a shock) there is one thing that I totally detest about my uni, and that as much as they claim they are a family, they somehow choose to be more concern about those who excel or bring honour and glory to the school.

Anyone who has Marketing value for the school is highly thought of and will be highly rewarded. I just feel so sad... and looking at ITAM, the school promotes the school as a WHOLE, instead of just individual students. And you cannot see any academic rivalries amongst students. They are as eager to learn as everyone and will put in their 100% for their work. Well not all, but most, bcoz of pple whom I met.

It really disgust me to a great extend (my uni). The will have the corp comms department to contact the media and put someone on news, the same news, written in different way, and different perspective over different publications, so as to spread the awareness of the school.

People will argue that not only the brightest students get special treatment from the school. That I agree, those who are able to in anyway get themselves into the news, OR the top few % of the cohort will definitely get lotsa favouritism. I absolutely hate it man...

I wish I was a sour grape, but I was also on news, and I believe to a certain extend, I have gained enough favouritism from the school. I'm just saying the whole damn thing is not well-thot of. I will not blame the skol if they want to prac this, but if they really want to do it, then they shld nt put up the slogan of the family value man. wth right?

They say my school students are diff. But aren't they always highlighting people who do well after the grad, isn't it the same driving force of every uni. And of coz there a few exceptional ones that made the headlines other than the bright ones. And even if you are forgotten, if you happen to mke a name for yaself in the future, the skol will welcome u with wide open arms juz as long as the world noes ur from that skol.

There are people who are also diff, instead of working, they went to be volunteers and travel ard. All these are the 'non-social norms' and thus there is no mkting value to the school, and therefore are not highly accepted. Cynical as I may sound, but the truth is always there. If you are choosing an all rounded education, i would believe my skol have so much to offer.

But if you are choosing becoz of what it perceives to be, like the FAMILY, the LOVE, the UNIQUENESS, well, all I can say is, experiencing it will be the best form of evidence to testify to whether it contains any truth.

Disclaimer: The above written is merely thoughts and feelings of the author and does not suggest or illicit any hidden agendas or disagreements to any organisations or people.

0 voice message:

Post a Comment

<< Home